Sunday, August 8, 2010

My son, Sean, and my brand new daughter-in-law,
 Kimberly, in front of their muddy "Heep"
The Psalmist observes that children are God's best gift and that the fruit of the womb is his generous legacy.  The writer of Psalm 127 also says that God enjoys giving rest to those he loves.

This weekend has been a great blessing to me in that regard.  On Friday I met with my mentor of the past eight years, the retired Reverend Bob Becker.  Bob is part of an official mentoring program for Christian leaders that is overseen by Reverend Bob Frederich.  Rev. Becker and I have been meeting occasionally for prayer and a meal over the past eight years.  Friday he came to my house for a hamburger.

Just before he arrived my son came roaring into the driveway in what we affectionately call the "Heep."  It was looking more heepy than ever.  He took a friend fishing at a pond way back in the woods of Vassalboro.  The trip to the pond required some mudding.



It is always great when the boys visit.  And it is especially delightful to spend time with the newly minted Mrs. Heath.  They were both able to join Bob and me for a burger on the lawn next to my study.  The air was especially crisp and cool for August, and the blue sky was spotted with cottony clouds.  It doesn't get much better than Maine in August and September!

Then on Saturday Sean and Kim came over and spent the afternoon.  Paulie was away working for a client.  Sean wanted to get outside and do something strenuous so I offered to go canoeing with him.  We set out from the neighbors camp with him in the stern steering position.  He decided to paddle the circumference of Three Mile Pond which is .... three miles in distance.

For the next 90 minutes we drank deeply from the best Maine has to offer.  Under that same cloud spotted blue sky we passed families relaxing on the shoreline, in the water and in boats.  We talked about many things.  The most memorable aspect of the conversation was Sean's report of his reading to Kim.  He is reading the Bible to her.  They just finished Genesis.  I don't think Sean could have said anything else that would have warmed my father's heart more.  The Bible is the most precious object in the universe.  How wonderful that this most precious object is filled with ideas ... chock full of truths for living.

As we fellowshipped and paddled along loons floated by, a majestic blue heron lofted from the shoreline to a thin dead branch hanging limply over the water followed moments later by an osprey silently plunging from a hidden tree perch high above the pond to crash noisily into the water and then wing his way empty clawed over our heads and back to his perch for another go.

When I visit churches I often preach from Romans, the first chapter.  I can't help being reminded of Paul's observation about our Creator when I spend time outside like I did with Sean in the canoe.  Paul says that we can understand God's eternal power and the mystery of his divine being by looking at what He has created.  Seeing what I saw yesterday helped me understand.  It was divine.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment